In many competitive exams (like SBI PO, UIIC AO, etc.) English subject is mandatory. In English Descriptive papers, you might be asked to write the Report instead of an essay. You need to know about the Report Writing Format for attempting such papers. Here in this post, we are providing the Report Writing Format and also the Tips so that you will get a clear idea of what to write in the descriptive paper.
Report Writing Format:
The Report Writing Format should include the following sections:
- Title Section: This section should include the Name of the Author(s) and Date on which it is prepared. You may include the Table of Contents & Definition of Terms if required.
- Summary: This section should include the brief summary of the major points, conclusions, and recommendations. The Summary should be short and effective. It gives the general overview of the report to the readers. Some people will read the summary instead of reading the whole report and finally, they will only skim the report. So you must make sure that you include all the information relevant to the report. We suggest that you should write this section at the last so that you may include everything & even the important points that might be added at the last minute.
- Introduction: The first page of the report should consist of an introduction. Introduction of a Report should describe what the report is all about.You need to explain the problem and show the reader why the report is being prepared. You need to give a definition of terms if you did not include these in the title section and explain how the details of the report are arranged.
- Body: This is the main section of the report. You need to include several sections, with each having a subtitle. Information is usually arranged in order of importance such that most important information will come first. The previous sections should be written in plain English, but this section can include jargon from your industry.
- Conclusion: This is where everything comes together. Keep this section free of jargon as most of the people will read the Summary and Conclusion. Get all your ideas together & express them in an effective and unique way.
- Recommendations: This is what needs to be done. In plain English, explain your recommendations and remember to put them in order of priority.
- Appendices: This section includes the additional information. Appendices will give the information that the experts in the field will read. It has all the technical details that support your conclusions.
Always Remember to write all the sections in plain English, except for the Body section. Also, remember that the information needs to be organized logically with the most important information coming first so that reader may find it easy to get the information which he needs.
Points to Remember while Writing a Report:
These points will be useful to you to score high in Report Writing. Have a Glance at them.
- Use Names and Pronouns: Use I when you write about yourself and use he/she when you write about others instead of writing the out-dated expressions like the above-mentioned person, this person, etc.
- Limit yourself: Keep the sentences short and effective to the point. Do not go into a lot of details unless it is required if not you will end up complicating the matter. Short sentences are easy to read and mistakes are likely to be less.
- Be Clear & Specific: Maintain Clarity in your points and Be Specific of what you are writing.
- Use Simple Language: Do not try to impress, rather try to communicate. Good communication is essential as it would be helpful in exchanging the ideas.
- Stick to Facts: Highlight the facts related to the concerned topic. Do not jump to your conclusions, stick to the facts.
- Write in an Effective Way: Organizing the information in an effective way is very important for a good report. Always try to write the information in short paragraphs so that it would be easy for the readers to read and understand it in a better way.
- Use Active Voice: Use an active voice rather than passive. Active voice makes the writing move smoothly and easily. It provides good Impact to the sentences.
- Use Bullets: If the paragraph is long, try to make it in points by using the Bullet Style. Usually, people do not like to read long paragraphs.
- Word Limit: Take care of the word limit (if mentioned). You should be able to reach the limit to get good marks.
- Avoid grammatical errors: To avoid mistakes you need to practice more.